Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Familiar, but from a new perspective

Andrew is taking his first round of independent swimming lessons this week. And we went and bought him a good quality, comfortable pair of indoor school shoes today. When we were in Winnipeg I picked up some comfortable pants and long sleeve shirts for the school year.

The funny thing about these simple tasks is that I have never done them as a mother before. Yet I have such strong sensory memories of going to the little shoe store just down from Keskus mall to get my yearly Buster Browns, and the sting of chlorine in my eyes after swimming lessons, and the feel of being rubbed down roughly with a towel and hurried off to run after-lesson errands, and the smell of new clothes that were presented to me at the beginning of the school year.

Its like deja-vu, only with less polyester and patent leather this time around.

No comments: