Sunday, February 03, 2008

Curses, Foiled Again!

So aside from wrangling cranky teething 13 month olds and amusing bored snowed in 3 year olds, I've been trying to finish my dad's 70th birthday quilt. I had the top done before I went to Winnipeg, and decided to tie it so I could do that part on my holiday. I did finish it while I was there, so all week long I've been trying to bind it. It took me two days of breaking up fights over swords and who gets to drive / push the motorcycle toy and chasing Aaron away from unplugging the cords and tearing his hands away from the sewing machine's moving parts, etc, etc to get the binding strips even put together. Then I started sewing them on the quilt. And apparently there was too much action going on and I was in too much of a hurry becuase until last night, when I went to hand sew it in place, I didn't even notice it was all INSIDE OUT. Arg, arg, arg! So instead of spending my entire phone conversation with my long lost friend Medea stitching the binding on the quilt and getting to feel my only sense of accomplishment for the week, I spent it ripping the entire binding off the quilt. So now that I had trimmed all the edges, I have to try to re-sew the binding on while keeping all the layers together. Sigh.

On the bright side, during conversations with my siblings in Winnipeg I realized that I did my math wrong. My dad is 69 right now and doesn't turn 70 until next January. So the quilt is now going to be 11 months early instead of one month late.

No comments: