Monday, May 24, 2010

I-spy quilt

I finally finished Aaron's quilt! And I must say I am rather proud of it.
Here it is decorating the tree house. Aaron really loves this quilt. He just found the jungle print and the owls on the back:

which led him to exclaim, "Oh, I like you Mom. I like you most of all. Thanks for stitching everything together on my quilt mom. I like it. I like you the most." This was accompanied with many hugs and face pats. That stripe is from Heather Ross' famed Lightening Bugs fabric line. It is ridiculously soft and light, and I picked it up before everyone started going crazy for this fabric on clearance for $4 a yard. The jungle fabric was snatched in a quilting shop closeing sale for the same price. (Although there is nothing more depressing than discovering the most awesome quilt shop on the prairies two days before it closes). Anyway, I had been saving them for this quilt back for a long time, and I'm glad I did because they are a nice mix of cute and soft and snuggly.

It is 5" finished squares laid out in diagonal rows, inspired by this lovely quilt on Flikr. I was a little worried about the lack of red squares, especially since there was so much red in so many of the fabrics. Binding it with red seems to have been the perfect solution -- it really makes the red in the squares pop, but did not require the accumulation of lots more red fabrics or a change in the layout of the quilt.

It is 60" X 75" and will be just the right size for quite a while. It is also the right size to share with all your friends while watching a movie, even if your mom isn't quite finished binding it yet.
Boy, its nice to finally have this one done! I love the satisfaction of making things for my own family.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

beautiful job Jill!