Saturday, January 24, 2009

Doing a Few Things Well.

I have decided that this is going to be the year of doing a few things well. You see, there are all kinds of things I would like to try doing: opening and etsy store, staring a parenting blog, getting a table at a flea market or craft fair to sell my wares, training for a triathalon, to name a few.

But the reality is that I am pretty overwhelmed with just trying to care for my kids and my husband, do my youth leader job, do some fun sewing and swaps, keep my house up, and take care of myself. I am not really getting all those things done well. I still haven't sewn curtains or hung up my new shelf and bulletin board in my kitchen. My own son still does no have his mamma made quilt on his bed. I still don't consistently get a newsletter out every month for youth group. And I have not been keeping up with exercise now that I can't just drag the kids around in a wagon for 30 min - 1 hr a few times a week.

What I really need to do is do a few things well. I need to remember that I am at an inward stage of life. For now I need to focus most of my energy on my family. There will be time later, when my boys are less needy and my husband is not new at his job when I can pursue more time consuming pursuits of my own.

So, for this year I have decided that I am not going to start any new major ventures. I will instead try to do the things that I am doing well, and see what comes of it. I will focus on nurturing myself and my family, and enjoying sewing for myself and the swaps that I love to participate in. And that is enough. It is going to be a year of just being. Being content. Being creative. Being healthy. Being a good wife and mom. Being just who I am, right now.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds like you are on the right track. None of us can do all that we want - there just isn't time! Love the name of your town! What is the population up there?
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/