Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Repurposing Change Pads

So, I have these old change pads:
As you can see, they've seen better days. The fabric on them is all pilled, and has picked up lint from everything that passed it by. Not only that but they've picked up this odd, crunchy feel to them. I figured that with a little refurbish, however, I could still use them for our new baby. So I cut out some flannel around the same size as the change pads, and decided I would just stitch it to one side so the baby would have something soft to lay on, and we would use them for a third time around.

That is, until I stitched the first one together, and started cutting an edge off so I could flip them inside out:
Are you asking "What is THAT?". Yeah, so was I. That is these crusty little shards of plastic stuff. I don't know if it was originally vinyl or what, but it is now these horrible, hard yellow things that break apart to the touch. I don't think I want to be laying my baby anywhere near those. I feel bad that I used them for the other two boys, laying them right on top of that vinyl nastiness.

Since I live in the land of polyester and plastic, I have a few fleece blankets kicking around. Every time I have a baby I am given about 10 more. I decided that they are water resistant enough to be the back of some new change pads:

Conveniently enough, I didn't even have to guess at the size, because the flannel top was already cut to the size of my old change pads. I just had to cut the blankets to approximately the same size and stitch them together. So, yeah, if you want to make some, put your two layers right side together. Stitch around the edges, 1/2 inch from the edge, leaving a space. Flip, press, and topstitch. Ta da -- cute new change mats.

No comments: