Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Hibernating

We are going on our second week of uncovered-skin-will-freeze-in-X-minutes weather around here. While many places in blogland (at least the little corner I read) are enjoying unexpected dumps of snow, we are enjoying temperatures around -35C with the windchill. We haven't been outside, except to run from the car to the house, in two weeks.

Living this far north also means that the change of seasons is very dramatic. At present we are getting about 7 hrs of sunlight a day. My body has reset itself to hibernate mode. It wants to fall asleep with the boys around 7 (when it has already been dark for two or three hours), wake up around 11 and go back to sleep around 1 or 2am. I find this really interesting, since my usual most-awake time is between 11pm and 2 am, but it kills me to stay up that late when I have to wake up at 5 or 6 . .. or 3:30.

Here's a peek into a few of the things we've been doing to try to keep the boys busy (the playdoh photo is taken by full spectrum lighting - we got a little light that is supposed to help with SAD. We shall see.):




No comments: