Monday, October 19, 2009

Killing the Hydra

After a week of snow, we finally got a thaw on Friday afternoon! This meant that Saturday morning I sent the kids out to play. We were going to go to the park, but I sent them out first while I did my hair and got ready. By the time I got out there they were occupied in the yard, so I let them be.

Our library has brought in this cool set of graphic novels based on myths and legends. One of Andrew's favorites is the tasks of Hercules. He loves the part with the Hyrda -- for those of you whose Greek mythology is a bit rusty, the Hydra is a 7 headed beast, who grows two new heads every time you cut one off. Hercules figures out that to kill it, you have to burn the stumps of the neck before the new heads can grown. Anyway, so he decided that our peony bush was a hydra.

He and Aaron spent a good 45 minutes playing with the peony. First they attacked the branches with sticks, then they pulled all the leaves off. Finally I told them to go and get the wagon and clear all the leaves out of the garden and into the wheelbarrow.

One thing I love about having two boys this age is the imitation. Almost all day, when Andrew is home, Aaron follows in his footsteps, doing whatever "Ander" is doing. It is so wonderful to watch the admiration he has for his big brother, and so cute to see them trooping along together through the house, the park and the neighbourhood.

Now, if only I could find a way to get them to tidy up their toys so easily . . .

No comments: