Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Change


So, we have been collecting change since we moved here. Or rather, to be more accurate, Dave has been collecting change. I'm that annoying person in line in front of you who pays .94 in dimes, nickels and pennies because I happen to know I have enough change in my wallet. Dave, on the other hand, has a broken wallet becuase he stores all his change, then puts it all in a cup when his wallet is full. I sort through the cup regularly and pilfer it for what I call "big change" -- twoonies, loonies and quarters (that is two dollar, one dollar and twenty-five cent pieces). The rest just sits.

Until now. Andrew and I spent a few days rolling change. Andrew loved this. He is a great quality control guy. He sorted out all the pennies, then sorted the American from the Canadian pennies. Then he rolled up lots of the change. This was great for helping him identify pennies, nickels and dimes, and also for starting to get the concept of sets -- eight sets of five makes a roll of nickels. Five sets of ten makes a roll of pennies. That kind of thing.

Anyway, do you know how much we had? Thirty three dollars. Yes, that is right. $33 in change. That means we accumulate about $8 of small change in our house every year. Crazy, eh?

No comments: