Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Sister quilt top finished!

Well, this one was a bit of an adventure. As I mentioned before, due to a cutting goof up, I ended up with less choice in the border fabric for this one. Also, I don't know what I was thinking when I chose these fabrics for the border. There was a blue and green stripe, and a blue pez that would have looked fantastic with this quilt. But I bought this quilt when I was still really learning about how quilting "worked", if you know what I mean. Like, I knew how it worked, but I didn't yet understand how the borders and blocks interacted in the quilt as a totality. I think I'm getting a bit better at this -- we'll see when I get on to my next few quilts, won't we?

Anyway, this was my first try at finding a set up for the border. You might want to find some sunglasses before you scroll any further.

So, I decided that was a bit too bright and competed with the blocks too much, while not actually containing all the colour in the stars. So I ditched the idea of using a yellow or blue, and went back to the pile of scraps I had left from the quilt. Among it, I found this green daisy fabric. I had no used it originally because there was only 6 1/4 inches left and I needed 6 1/2 inch squares. But when I realized that my border on the first quilt did not fit quite exactly with the blocks anyway after all my squaring of blocks, I decided to use it anyway. Then I found this panel I had bought with the fabric, plus a few of my own 1/4 yrds, with the plan to make myself a little quilt with the same fabric. So I came up with this, which I like much better:

I wanted this quilt to be a bit softer and calmer than Marie's quilt, as Beatrice is slightly less dramatic and more cerebral in nature. And I think is succeeds nicely.

Now to quilt.

No comments: