Friday, February 06, 2009

Threads Together Virtual Quilting Bee

For those of you not well versed in the world on online quilting communities, a virtual quilting bee is a clever, fun adventure started by a few ladies on Flikr. Essentially, what happens is that each person picks out some fabric, and thinks of a kind of quilt they would like to make. Then each member takes a turn sending fabric to all the other quilters, and a month (or so) later, they get 8 or 12 or 16 blocks back to piece into a quilt. Each quilter gets to play with 8 or 12 other people's fabric, and in return gets all the blocks made for their own quilt. Cool, eh?

I first caught wind of this when Betty of bettyninja and Jacquie of Tall Grass Prairie Studio , two of my favorite quilt bloggers, joined Common Threads quilting bee , and I thought it was a pretty cool idea.

Well, when Betty mentioned on her blog that she was looking for another virtual quilting bee to join (I think she's in four or five now), I asked if she could let me know if she found one. Fortunately, she did, and she used her quilting cred to get me a spot in it! So I am excited to let you all know that I am now part of the Threads Together Virtual Quilting Bee! The first pack of fabric should be arriving soon (depending on how grumpy the border guards are feeling and whether the weather is good). I'll keep you posted on my progress, and you can also check out our Flikr group for the virtual quilting bee .

No comments: