So, in between the two sister Peas and Carrots quilts, I have been doing a bunch of little projects to just get a breather. First, I made these coasters for my friend Sharon. These were actually for Christmas, but because she had family over at Christmas and then I went on holidays before they had a free moments, I just gave them to her a few weeks ago.
These were a fun way to use scraps. I cut a big piece of muslin -- about 11 inches by 37 inches, and then pieced these scraps on top. That way I could use little strips and about an 1/8th of an inch seam allowance. If you have the leftovers from cutting metre or half metres, you can just use all strips and it goes really fast. When I didn't have a full 37", I ironed over the edges of the pieces and just stitched them right next to each other, then zig-zagged over the top.
The I cut the big piece into 8 - 4 1/2 by 10 1/2 " strips and followed the instructions in Last Minute Patchwork and Qulting. These were really fun and satisfying.
Next up, a doll quilt for Aaron. He always tries to steal Andrew's, so I thought he might like one of his own. I used my own scraps plus a scrap pack from Starlit Nest (thats where all the dogs and fish came from). I just did improvisational log cabins. This is about 15 x 20.
This is something I've been wanting to do for a long time. I love having my coffee from a bodum -- it comes out all fresh and frothy and delicious. Unfortunately, if you don't pour and drink it five seconds after its done percolating, it is also cold.
I had seen these awesome coffee pot warmers over at jcasa . Hers are made out of vintage fabric scraps, and have two or three buttons and some elastic loops to keep them on the coffee pot. I really wanted to make myself one like that, but I was getting frustrated becuase I didn't really have the time to do something so fiddly for a while, and my coffee was still cold. For a while I resorted to using my electric coffee maker, but it just wasn't the same.
Then, I saw some cute little egg cozies made out of felted sweaters (can't find them now, sorry) and that led to my aha! moment:
This was much faster. The blue is that felted sweater I've been making a thousand different things from, and the button and ric-rac are from swaps. All I did was cut the felt to fit my coffee pot and fold over a bit and snip a button hole in it. Then I stitched on the button and ric rac, and zig-zagged over the button hole. Unfortuantely, I thought that when I was clipping the corner on the right I was straightening the fabric, but I was actually making it crooked. Now that missing 5 mm is going to bother me every time I look at it. Oh well.
The best thing about my coffee pot's new sweater is that it is thick wool and keeps the coffee hot. The first cup is always piping hot now, and the second cup stays warm for 40 min or so. I am in coffee heaven.